The big reveal yesterday at Gamescom was the next expansion for World of Warcraft, called Legion. Lots of coverage on other sites, Massively OP had a live blog going on and a good summary of the main features. There’s also the teaser trailer from Youtube:
The presentation had some highlights for me as an ex-player of the game:
- The admission that Blizzard screwed-up by making 5-man dungeons throw-away content – they should be present and meaningful throughout the leveling experience.
- The idea of artifact weapons was interesting, more character customisation is always a good thing.
- The lore is a real mish-mash but some bits interest me, in particular the Titan and Vrykul references.
- Finally the chance for druids to customise their appearance, but will Balance druids be ignored yet again or will they too get the cool new skins?
My thoughts after watching the reveal stream were along these lines:
- The continued orcs (Guldan) & demons theme doesn’t excite me, it feels like Warlords of Draenor part II.
- Demonhunters will be using a rage-style mechanic, I really dislike that mechanic in WoW.
- The class hall is Garrisons version 2.0, no details as to whether they’ve learned any lessons from the impact Garrisons had on the Draenor era of the game.
For the moment I’m left ambivalent, I’m not that tempted to jump back into the game based on this reveal alone. Maybe when I see more details I’ll consider it. I’d need a free boost to level 100 though as I’m not buying Draenor and grinding through 10 levels just to get to content I want to play. I watched my husband play through the storylines on his computer so I really don’t need to see it myself.
Let’s hope the artifact weapon grind won’t have too heavy an emphasis on super-directive play – previous legendary item grinds felt like Blizzard forcing me to do content I wouldn’t normally touch (PVP, LFR etc). If there are options as to how you develop the weapon then I’d be much more interested to give this expansion a go.