Chain letters are something I usually ignore but since I’ve received a nomination from Party Business I feel it would be churlish not to respond. There were some very enjoyable community blogging topics doing the rounds last year and this seems to be the latest in that tradition.
So to my answers:
- How did you get started blogging?
I started back in Feb 2011. I wanted to practice writing on a daily basis and I had already been reading gaming news sites, blogs and forums for nearly two years at that point.
- What’s the origin of your blogger’s name?
Telwyn was a favourite NPC that I created for a multi-GM Forgotten Realms campaign while at Uni. It’s a pseudo-Welsh name inspired by Welsh folklore.
- What’s your favourite MMO character and why?
That’s a toughie. Probably my healer shaman in WoW because he reminds me of my favourite times in that MMO back in the Wrath and early Cataclysm era when I was doing a lot of group content with friends. He was also a more fleshed out RP character than my others characters in the game and I was always a fan of the Draenei voice/emotes etc.
- What was your very first MMO character and why did you choose that race?
If I’m honest it was some character in SWG but I only played a month and do not remember anything about him. My balance druid in WoW was my main for years, he was a Night Elf because I loved the NElf starter area.
- What’s the most fun class you ever played?
Again a toughie. Probably my mesmer in Guild Wars 2. I liked the idea of surrounding myself with illusionary doubles and phantom warriors of all types. Plus I got to shoot purple laser beams out of my greatsword – what’s not to like?
- If you could cut and paste your favorite games into one mega-ultra-super MMO, what would it look like?
The polish, artwork and group-friendly/public quests from FFXIV but with a more seamless world like LOTRO. I’d rather the gathering was simpler (again like LOTRO) as it makes crafting too intimidating/time-consuming for me to get into. Every MMO should have the functionality of WoW’s altaholic add-on built-in – search all characters inventory and bank without having to swap and change. Oh and all MMOs could do with some proper investigation quests Secret World-style.
- You can snap your fingers and visit any city in the world. Where are you?
Rio de Janeiro, I’ve been once briefly before but I’d go back without hesitation.
- You’re on a desert island and only have one album, one movie, and one book. What are they?
Album would have to be the 1986 London cast recording of Cabaret – it has many associations for me, linking to the love of my life, my years of studying German language & history and a general appreciation of musicals.
Movie is Star Wars Episode IV – what can I say, it’s pure escapist fantasy from a more innocent era.
The book would be the True Game by Sheri S. Tepper – excellent 1990s fantasy writing and one of the few books I’ve re-read a few times – it’s the sort of book you find new details in each time you read it.
- What ability or skillset do you most admire in others but personally lack?
Self-confidence. I’m a stereotypical shy/geeky IT man, but that’s a real hindrance in so many walks of life (especially business and as I’m learning also in academia).
- Are you a cat or dog person?
Dog person though I like cats too.
- You can learn one language, in addition to those you already know, in a second. What language is it going to be?
Dutch, just because I’ve always loved the sound of it and will probably never prioritise learning it over more business-relevant languages (like Spanish/German/Mandarin).
I’ll nudge a few of my fellow bloggers in case they’d want to answer the same questions above (feel free to ignore!):
- Pkudude99 at Nomadic Gamers
- Shintar at Going Commando
- Stargrace at MMOQuests.com
- Tipa at West Karana