Blaugust, or the general buzz of activity this month has spawned a few questionnaires that are doing the rounds. I’ve seen a few responses to this Gaming Questionnaire by Jasyla of CannotBeTamed so thought I’d give it a whirl as well.
- When did you start playing video games?
My grandad started the whole family off by buying an Sinclair ZX Spectrum way back when. I was probably 6 or 7 at the time.
- What is the first game you remember playing?
Ring of Darkness on the Spectrum. It was a medieval fantasy adventure game that went suddenly sci-fi crossover: towards the end you could buy a spacesuit, lasergun or a hovercraft…
- PC or Console?
I’ve always preferred PCs. I hate playing first person 3D games with dual thumb controls, keyboard + mouse is a million times better.
- XBox, PlayStation, or Wii?
We have a PS/3, and had PS/2 and PS/1 before that. I would never let an X-anything into my house. That said I’ve no interest in the current gen of consoles.
- What’s the best game you’ve ever played?
Probably Icewind Dale 1 & 2. I loved the old co-op RPGs you could play over a local network.
- What’s the worst game you’ve ever played?
Pools of Radiance, the 3rd edition D&D Baldur’s Gate style game. It was buggy and there was zero plot multiplayer.
- Name a game that was popular/critically adored that you just didn’t like.
Mass Effect, I hated the ‘floaty’ feel to aiming.
- Name a game that was poorly received that you really like.
Most MMOs probably fit in that category depending on who you’re talking too…
- What are your favourite game genres?
MMORPGs hands down. RPGs in general too. I used to like strategy games like Command and Conquer but I can’t seem to get into them anymore.
- Who is your favourite game protagonist?
I like to craft my own rather than be given a character or ‘hero’ to play.
- Describe your perfect video game.
I’d like to see Dungeons & Dragons Online remade as an open world MMORPG with the main continent as the focus not Stormreach and definitely not the Forgotten Realms crossover. More content to do not just inside instances. The character creation and combat systems were/are pretty amazing.
- What video game character do have you have a crush on?
Can’t say I’ve ever had one.
- What game has the best music?
Lord of the Rings Online I think not only for the official score but also the player created music.
- Most memorable moment in a game:
Too many to mention. Leveling the first pair of character together with my partner through World of Warcraft was pretty amazing – back then it seemed like such an enormous world full of secrets. WoWHead wasn’t really a thing then though!
- Scariest moment in a game:
Playing in Hellfire (WoW) for first time on a very old laptop with super-low view distance. Suddenly the ground started shaking and a giant demonic robot literally appeared on top of my character…
- Most heart-wrenching moment in a game:
Can’t think of anything at the moment.
- What are your favourite websites/blogs about games?
The blogs in my bloglist. Massively.
- What’s the last game you finished?
Part of the reason why I play MMOs is that you never really finish them. We do sometimes play the various Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie mystery games on PC so one of those.
- What future releases are you most excited about?
Nothing specific. Expansions for existing games. 2014 for me has been about returning to games I’ve already played for a new or more extended look.
- Do you identify as a gamer?
- Why do you play video games?
A shared hobby with my partner, family and friends.